Saturday 28 January 2012

Getting Organised...

Well, having moved my sewing room around for the umpteenth time (I swear, one day it will be perfect), I feel I am making progress.  I loved the inspiration pics sarai and caitlin provided at colette. And they've given me a kick up the proverbial to get organised.

This is what I am contending with:



I have cleared 3 bags of fabric from my stash which I have come to realise I WILL NEVER USE so that's gone to the local hospice shop, there was another boxful of fabric that I bought a very long time ago, and again, due to storage and having way too much fabric already, i decided to flog on ebay. 

You would think that this would mean lots of clear space - empty drawers to fill with stuff I will actually get round to using.  But, no, this is not the case at all, my 6 drawer chest is still full to bursting, albeit, busting in a very neat way.  1 entire long drawer is filled with unfinished projects (or works in progress, as I like to call them - sounds more positive anyways!), and the others are filled with my other 'useful fabrics' i.e. those that haven't been designated to the charity or sale pile.



My plan, along with all my other plans, is to actually finish some of these projects - i've got cushion panels cut, bunting flags ready to go, various hangers (birds, dogs hearts etc) almost done, pegbags pinned and a quilt top that needs some attention.  For various reasons, like children, housework and sewing for people that need things doing and will pay me, I have neglected my making pile for sometime.  I have a lot of ideas (not all of them good, admittedly) and get a bit caried away and then realise that my drawers are full, so to speak.

I think it's a sewing version of my eyes are bigger than my belly - perhaps my ideas are bigger than my time schedule (doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it!).

So anyway, I AM going to get organised.  I AM going to spruce up my sewing room.  Starting with this very uninspiring wall pictured here:



My plan is to paint the room white, but I'm going to have to do it a bit at a time.  It doesn't get a lot of natural light so I figured this would be the best way to maximise it.  I'm going to put some shelves above the radiator and make it feel a bit more purposeful.  My sewing room (when I'm not sewing and sometimes when I am) becomes a bit of a dumping ground for the pushchair, schoolbags, and any other crap that doesn't really have a home! 

I will let you know how I get on...I could be some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment